Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

Picked this up from Wine World after reading the reviews here. For $50 this is a HUGE disappointment. From the moment I took my first smell I picked up a very familiar "cheap" smell that I swore I had encountered before. When I looked up the NOM I almost fell over. EL CHARRO!!! About two years ago a company in south FL went belly up and left an entire warehouse of booze sitting to be auctioned off. One of my local liquor stores took advantage of this and purchased tons of El Charro and were selling them off at $8 a bottle. At that price I bought a few bottles. It was not bad, but not good either but a bargain at $8. NOTHING I would ever pay more than about $15 for. So essentially what we have with Riazul is El Charro put into USED COGNAC barrels so sub par juice can be sold at a premium price. It tastes way too much like cognac. I don't like my agave juice to taste like other alcohols. I have this same feeling about almost all of the tequilas who age in used whiskey barrels, just don't do it. If I wanted to taste whiskey or cognac I would buy whiskey or cognac. This tequila is OK. I can deal with it, but that is as far as it goes.

I also must disagree with other peoples feelings about the presentation. I actually think the bottle looks quite classy.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 1

Comments