Overall rating

Aroma-Nose

Initial Taste

Body

Finish

Enjoyability

Price

Presentation

This is the younger sibling of the Extra Añejo that won best in show at Spirits of Mexico 2012. My hopes were high for that one, but I found it to be overly sweet and I'm hoping that less time the the barrel allows the agave to shine through a bit more. Here's to hoping...

Price: $50/bottle

Aroma: Sweet agave, cotton candy and some oak.

Initial Taste: Candied. It's not even an agave sweetness. I don't think this flavor profile is possible without additives.

Body: Medium bodied and still really sweet. There's a bit of a chemical aspect that gives it an odd overall flavor. There's some wood too, but it's overpowered by sugar.

Finish: A smoky and almost rubbery aspect on the finish to go along with the overpowering sweetness. Not a great finish.

In all honesty, this doesn't even taste much like tequila. It tastes like sugar with some wood chips mixed in. For the $50 price tag, I'd recommend a lot more things than this tequila. I hate writing reviews that don't find redeeming aspects or flavors that some people might like, but this line so far with the añejo and XA is one to pass up.
TT
#1 Reviewer 414 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments